Omega-3 ingredients market est. $3.79 billion by 2022
November 16, 2016
PA/DHA (omega-3 ingredients) market size is likely to be worth USD 3.79 billion by 2022, according to a recent research report by Global Market Insights, Inc. An increasing trend towards healthy nutrient-fortified diets is likely to drive the EPA & DHA ingredients’ market growth.
Dietary supplements accounted for over 65% of the total omega-3 ingredients market in 2014. Growing consumer awareness for adopting proactive self care measures to reduce illness probability and consuming supplements to avoid expensive medical bills is likely to continue influencing EPA/DHA ingredients demand.
Functional foods accounted for over 11% of the total EPA & DHA ingredients market share in 2014, with consumption estimated at approximately 10.5 kilo tons. This application is likely to attain significant gains during the forecast period.
FDA approval towards health claims for coronary heath diseases, and American Dietetic Association, for suggestion of minimum intake at close to 500mg per day, is likely to favor omega-3 market size.
Other key insights from the report include:
- Global EPA/DHA ingredients market size was evaluated at 93.69 kilo tons in 2014 with forecast to attain growth rate at 5.4% up to 2022 and reach 142.5 kilo tons.
- North America was the leading regional consumer industry in 2014, and accounted for over 36% of the total demand. Pharmaceutical application in the North American EPA/DHA ingredients market generated revenues worth approximately USD 86 million in 2014.
- Functional food applications in North America accounted for close to 10% of the total demand, and are expected to be an attractive growth segment for this industry over the forecast period.
- China’s omega 3 market accounted for over 10% of the total demand in 2014 and is likely to significantly grow during the forecast period. Dietary supplement application was dominant in China and is likely to witness highest CAGR, at 6.1% up to 2022.
- EPA/DHA ingredients market share represents moderate consolidation with the top four key players accounting for close to 54% of the demand.
Diatoms are good source of EPA.